Strength training is a type of physical exercise specializing in the use of resistance to induce muscular contraction which builds the strength, anaerobic endurance, and size of skeletal muscles. Physiotherapists at Back In Motion have been trained in the use of exercise therapy to strengthen your muscles and improve your function. Physiotherapy exercises have been scientifically proven to be one of the most effective ways that you can solve or prevent pain and injury.
Strength training programmes have a number of benefits apart from muscular strength, which include improvement in sports performance, prevention of injuries, enhancing overall health and well-being, increase in bone mineral density and cardio-respiratory fitness, weight management and improvement in motor performance skills. Free weight training is better than training with machines as machines are often made as per adult specifications and may not be appropriate for the younger population. Moderate load-high repetition training has been found to be more beneficial than Heavy load-low repetition.
Guidelines for training programme
- We provide qualified supervision and instructions
- Our exercise environment is safe and free of hazards/potential sources of injury
- Each session starts with a 5-10 minute dynamic warm up period
- 1-3 sets of 6-15 repetitions are performed on a variety of upper and lower body strength exercises based on the patient’s capability & requirements.
- Specific exercises that strengthen the abdomen and lower back are included in the programme
- The programme focuses on achieving symmetrical muscular development and appropriate muscle balance around joints
- The training programme is sensibly progressed depending on needs, goals and abilities
- Resistance is gradually increased by 5-10% as strength increases
- The cool down phase is less intense and includes static stretches
- Individual needs and concerns are addressed in each session
- Resistance training are started 2-3 times per week on non-consecutive days
- Training programmes and progress is logged in individual plans
- We systematically vary the programme to keep it interesting and suitable for the age group
- Healthy nutrition, adequate hydration and proper sleep are advised to optimize performance and recovery
- Constant support is given by our team at Back In Motion.